This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please see my Disclaimer for more details.
Imagine this: Crispy chicken wings, air fried to perfection and dripping with a mouthwatering honey garlic sauce. Easy Honey Garlic Air Fryer Chicken Wings require minimum effort for maximum flavor—you won't be able to get enough!
I have more chicken wing recipes that can be prepared by baking, frying, or air-frying. Hot Honey Wings, Honey BBQ Wings, Sweet Thai Chili Wings, Southern Fried Wings, Jerk Chicken Wings, and Lemongrass Hoisin Wings.
I'm a big fan of fried chicken wings. I love them fried hard, crispy, flavorful, and tender. This combination is what makes chicken wings a fantastic meal to me.
My wife had brought me an air fryer oven. The first thing I had to try was some chicken wings. I figured this would be a great way to make some air fryer chicken wings using my honey garlic sauce.
This air fryer chicken wings recipe will change the way you cook air fryer chicken wings forever. Make them often and try different sauces with air fryer honey garlic sauce on air fryer chicken wings.
To make these stunning honey garlic air fryer chicken wings, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Chicken Wings - I love to use chicken drumettes for this recipe because they cook more evenly and faster than traditional chicken wings.
- Garlic - Only use fresh garlic. Never use the stuff in a jar filled with water.
- Honey - I like to use local honey. It tastes better, and it helps with allergies.
- Savory Seasoning - This is my personal low sodium Cajun seasoning. Feel free to use any all-purpose seasoning.
How to Cook Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Before the age of air fryers, chicken wings could be a pain in the butt to make. Many home cooks had trouble getting them just right. Not anymore! By cooking your chicken wings in an air fryer, you can get them perfectly crispy with minimal effort. All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and Savory seasoning.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken wings in oil and then evenly sprinkle the spice mixture over the wings, then toss to combine.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F, then spray the air fryer pan with a layer of cooking spray.
- Place the chicken wings into the air fryer in an even layer, then cook for 24 minutes, flipping them halfway through. If you have a smaller air fryer and can’t get all the wings in an even layer, you will need to cook in batches.
Latest Recipe Video:
Air Fryer Chicken Wing Cooking Tips:
Here are some of my top tips to help you create this dish:
- Let the chicken wings come to room temperature before cooking, about 10-15 minutes.
- For a larger crowd, buy drumettes. If you buy whole wings, separate the drums from the flats before using them.
- If you’ve got a smaller air fryer and can’t fit all your chicken wings into an even layer, make sure to cook in batches. Crowding the wings will prevent them from getting nice and crispy, which we definitely don’t want!
- If you don’t have Savory seasoning, feel free to swap it out for your favorite all-purpose seasoning instead.
- Don’t have an air fryer? No worries. You can bake these chicken wings in the oven at 400°F for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through and adding the sauce at the end.
If you’re looking to save on time, both the chicken wings and honey garlic sauce can easily be made ahead in advance. This can save you a ton of time when preparing for a party or family barbecue! Below are a few make ahead tips for this recipe:
Fridge – The wings and honey garlic sauce can be made one day in advance and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy them.
Freezer – To freeze the chicken wings, cook them plain and do not add the sauce. Once they’ve cooled, store them in an airtight container and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge for 24-48 hours before using.
Reheating – To reheat the chicken wings, set the air fryer to 350°F and reheat for 4-6 minutes. To reheat the honey garlic sauce, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about air fryer chicken wings:
Yes! Frozen chicken wings work perfectly fine, as long as you thaw them first. I recommend thawing frozen wings for 12-24 hours in the fridge before using them. Frozen chicken wings will not cook evenly in your air fryer or any other cooking device. To get that glorious crispy exterior on our wings, thawed or fresh chicken works best.
Chicken wings are fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Try to avoid going over that temperature, as you will run the risk of drying out the chicken.
Absolutely. To bake the chicken wings, set the oven to 400°F and bake them for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through. Then, toss them in the honey garlic sauce at the end. To make the wings crispy, add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to the seasoning mix.
The best way to get crispy wings in an air fryer is by adding some baking powder to your chicken wings. The baking powder will draw out the skin’s moisture, which will allow for better browning and crispier wings. Don’t worry, you will not taste the baking powder at all!
What to Serve With Air Fryer Chicken Wings?
Not sure what to pair with air fryer chicken wings? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Chicken wings go great with just about anything, but I personally love pairing them with summertime BBQ dishes and classic picnic fare sides.
Some of my top pairing choices include cornbread, mac and cheese, coleslaw, roasted potatoes, pasta salad, and of course—more chicken wings! If you’re in need of a little inspiration, here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with air fryer chicken wings:
- Collard Green Coleslaw
- Brisket Nachos
- Lemongrass Hoisin Sauce Chicken Wings
- Moist Southern Cornbread
- Homemade Strawberry Ginger Lemonade
And there you have it! Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken Wings. This recipe is simple, flavorful, and perfect for game day or any get together with family and friends. I hope you give them a try. And when you do, be sure to come back here and leave me a five-star review. I love hearing from you all about how the recipes turn out in your kitchens. Until next time…
Click here to subscribe to MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ and use #LezEat on Instagram to share your remakes with me, and don't forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Honey Garlic Air Fryer Wings
- 2 lbs. chicken wings flats and drum separated
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ¾ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Savory Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fine garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, toss chicken wings in oil. In a bowl, mix salt, garlic powder, black pepper, Savory and baking powder. Evenly sprinkle over chicken wings, and toss to combine.
- Turn the air fryer on to 400°F, and spray the air fryer pan for 4 seconds with cooking spray. Place chicken wings in an even layer. If you have a smaller air fryer, you’ll need to cook in batches. Cook for 12 minutes, flip over and cook for 12 minutes until deep brown and crispy.
- While wings are cooking, in a large bowl mix together the honey, garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne and water. Toss hot wings in sauce. Serve hot and drizzle over the remaining sauce.